God is always present. He is the Great I AM. Sometimes we struggle to see His fingerprints on our lives. Joy in the Journey comes as we seek to recognize the work of God in our lives–and in the lives of those around us.
Joy in the Journey is a tool box for those wanting to know more of the presence of God. This book is useful for individual or group study. Workshops for small group leaders or multi-week studies can be arranged for groups wishing to dig deeper into the topic. The books are available for individual purchase at Amazon and CreateSpace. More information on Workshops is available here.
The biggest step in writing your story is the first one! Simply getting started will set the wheels in motion. A simple genealogy chart will help you begin to think about family. Many free printable charts exist on the web; this is a charming one that will get your thoughts rolling.
Then let’s start with some simple questions to get the ink flowing.
- What town(s) did you grow up in? Were you born there?
- Did you have one family home or many?
- What was the atmosphere at home? Were both parents in the home? Was there a sweet spirit or a lot of bickering?
- How about your siblings? Did you get along? Did you share a bedroom…hobbies…chores?
- Speaking of chores, what kind of responsibilities did you have as a child?
- Were there family gatherings, traditions or celebrations that remain strong in your mind?
- Did your grandparents have much influence in your home?
Writing is a process that can easily bog you down. For now, simply begin jotting stories. Do not worry about a ‘publishable’ piece…simply put in writing the memories that are part of who you are as an adult.
WARNING: Not every memory will be a sweet one. There is no need to sugar-coat the past, but the past need not influence the present either. If you find memories swamping you with negative feelings, set that aside for a time. You may want to address those areas in another way so the negative influences of the past are ‘cut off.’ Should such a challenge come your way, the Legacy Builder: Healing the Past article may be of help.
If you would like to dig further into your story, Joy in the Journey
may be the book for you!